Our mission is to make it easy for you to build a sustainable home from the ground up.
We accomplish this through design guidance as an architectural consultant and through the invention of new construction products. All of our homes and products are designed to be easy to build, sustainable, efficient, and beautiful.
Ease of Use
We design with the Do-It-Yourself home builder in mind. We want it to be as easy as possible for anyone, from Garrulous Grandma to Developer David to build a sustainable home. We make all of our products easy to use with the following design guidelines.
- Safety First. One example of our safety focus is that all of our products and structural systems are designed to minimize the need for ladders during construction.
- Most of our products weigh less than 20kg (40 pounds) per unit. Where lighter weight is not possible, products can be wheeled in on a dolly. Where small size is not possible the products may need to be installed by two people.
- Most of our products require less than 30 minutes of training to install safely and properly.
- No measuring, welding, cutting, hole drilling, or gluing is required for any assembly.
- All electrical, cabling, and plumbing systems use simple and quick installation methods. Please see our plug and play junction box for an example.
- Any installation limitations are clearly indicated on the product.
- Only light hand tools are needed, if any tools are needed at all, for installation. Some examples are cordless drills, wrenches, or a rubber mallet. (No hammers or nails)
What makes our products as sustainable as possible are a few simple design guidelines.
- All of our products are easy to maintain, repair, re-use and re-purpose.
- Our products are made with 100% recycled content or sustainably sourced organic materials.
- In case repair or re-use is not possible, our products are designed for easy separation, recovery, and recycling of at least 80% of the material.
- Top of the line energy efficiency.
- All electric (no operational CO2 Emissions)
- Our products do not use any toxic materials as defined by the Living Building Challenge Red-list.
- Design for flat pack shipping enables more efficient shipping.
The Green Sail construction system can be used with almost any architectural style. See our Portfolio Page for examples of what your home could look like! From the outside, it is impossible to differentiate a Green Sail home from standard construction.
- Pittsburgh Home Renovation
- Protected: Permit Set for Wilmette Single Family Home
- Off-Grid Carbon Free Life in a Mountain Cabin
With the Green Sail construction system high quality and high performance come standard with every home.
Green Sail Homes are super air-tight, all electric, hyper-efficient energy sippers that make a net zero home easily achievable on the right site.
All Green Sail Homes are built with the healthiest materials. That means no VOC’s and finishes that are super easy to keep clean.
All Green Sail Homes are designed to withstand the storms, earthquakes, rains, power outages, and fires that mother nature has in store so that you can move back into your home with minimal disruption to your life.
All Green Sail Homes are built to keep noise from the outside where it belongs… outside.
Life Cycle Design
Every Green Sail Home is designed to minimize life-cycle impact. DIY ease of assembly, dis-assembly, and re-assembly combined with materials that can be recycled and made from 100% recycled materials minimize the footprint your home has on mother earth.
Anything that may need to be replaced is modular, plug and play, and easy to swap. In addition, all electric heating, cooling, and ventilation means fewer pipes, fewer moving parts, slower breakdown, a quieter home, and higher efficiency.